Thursday 30 July, 2009

I am interested in Computer/Electrical Engineering and I have Hyperhidrosis?

Hello, I am interested in Computer/Electronic/Electrical Engineering and I have Hyperhidrosis (Excessive sweating of the palms)





How much will my sweating of the hands affect me if I choose this major? How much will it affect me working as an Computer/Electrical Engineer?





Would my sweating of the palms be a big problem if I choose this major? Or should I just choose a different major that doesn't involve dealing with electrical stuff?





Answers will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
I am interested in Computer/Electrical Engineering and I have Hyperhidrosis?
I'm an Engineer and had hyperhidrosis for a long time before getting rid of it.





It was not too much additional risk, since most of the circuitry I work on is low voltage (5V, 12V). It takes about 30V to get through your skin, under average conditions, and that's the threshhold for tingling.





When it came to higher voltage circuits, such as 110VAC or 15KV plasma, I would not have direct contact with those anyway (at least not intentionally!)





Hyperhidrosis can be caused by food allergies, or a mineral/vitamin deficiency. I had it for a long time before learning this.





Check out this article about hyperhidrosis, grains, and sugars. Scroll about halfway down the page.


http://www.mercola.com/2004/aug/14/exces...





I had hyperhidrosis and other symptoms for many years. I tried all the usual treatments including ETS surgery, prescriptions, antiperspirants, botox, etc. The surgery was most helpful but several years later hyperhidrosis began to return.





This year I was diagnosed with food allergies due to celiac disease. I eliminated wheat, dairy, and sugar from my diet. I stopped all prescriptions and began taking supplements with B Vitamins, Folic Acid, magnesium and other minerals.





You can see the rest of the story here:


http://www.esfbchannel.com/phpBB2/viewto...
I am interested in Computer/Electrical Engineering and I have Hyperhidrosis?
Your malady can cause problems if you call attention to it or try to be secretive about it. It will not come up on an application form or interview unless you bring it up, in which case you are engaging in self-sabotage. You probably are already well versed in methods of coping with this problem, so it doesn't present a real threat in either field, even with a lot of "hands-on" work. If necessary, you can glove when working with sensitive parts, but that's already a requirement for "normal" people to keep the fatty acids from their hands from etching the parts.





I worked for many years as an Electrical Engineer, and was actively engaged in "early" computer installation and maintenance. I've also worked in Quality Control and as an Electronics Repair Technician. In all my experience I saw no one lose a job or endanger others or equipment because of "sweaty hands". Furthermore, the concept that people's palm sweat when they are nervous is so firmly entrenched in the working world that your condition is very likely to pass unnoticed. Drying one's hands before accepting a handshake or touching another's work is considered a sign of respectful behavior in many circles.
Reply:Home wiring would be your most dangerous activity, probably. Even then , no one should ever come in contact with a hot wire. If you wind up as an electronics designer, most fields use low voltages. (except TVs, radar, etc.)


No comments:

Post a Comment